Saturday, March 17, 2018

30 Days of Books Day 7: A Book That Makes You Laugh

Well this post is a long time coming! Between work and wedding planning, my schedule has been a bit crazy.  And then trying to think of a book that makes me laugh was tough. The book that immediately came to mind was Plum Island, but having already done a post about it I couldn't do another one. While the book itself isn't overly funny there were definitely moments where I did LOL because John Corey is one sarcastic SOB. 
 So now to think of a different book.  I read so many books that it's hard for me to keep them all straight.  That was the whole point of me starting this blog.  I'm sure I have read a book relatively recently that made me laugh.  But for the life of me I can't think of one.  Then I remembered a book I read to a 2nd grade class when I was substituting.  I know I normally stick to "adult books".  But children's books are FUNNY!  And for good reason too.  How are you going to get kids to start reading if you bombard them with sadness or other unpleasant emotions?  You have to give them a reason to look forward to picking up books.  And making them laugh is an excellent way to make reading fun!
So the great literary masterpiece that made me laugh in front of a 2nd grade class?  

 Yes, a book about nose picking.  Why did I read this to a group of 7-year-olds? Because we were stuck inside for indoor recess and they asked me to.  When the alternative is having them destroy a classroom, of course I will read an innocent book about nose picking!  
The gist of this book is that Richard gets his finger stuck in his nose.  Eventually he turns himself inside out, into a giant booger, that rolls out of his house and around town.  He picks up all sorts of things on his sticky journey around town.  But does he learn his lesson about nose picking?  I'll leave that for you to find out.
I know, its absolutely disgusting. But 2nd graders love it.  And come on, why wouldn't they?  2nd graders, especially 2nd grade boys, love gross things.  Farts, boogers, burps, blood- these are a few of their favorite things.  If I can entertain a 2nd grade class with a book that makes them realize reading is fun and entertaining I will gladly do it again in a heartbeat.
Books like this are what got me to love reading. Not EXACTLY like this.  But books that made me laugh and want to show my friends are how I became the passionate reader I am today.  Even now, if a book makes me laugh or is fantastic I share it with anyone who will listen (or read about it on the internet).  So why not write a book geared toward children about a topic children find absolutely hilarious in order to get them to realize reading is fun?  I think it's a genius idea!  Way to go Carolyn Beck!
If you a have 2nd grader, or a child around that age, and think you can make it through this book without cringing in disgust, I highly recommend picking it up from the library and giving it a read. I guarantee they will love it!
I already have a plan for Day 8 so hopefully there won't be as much of a delay between posts.  Until then,

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment