Monday, February 3, 2014

The Constant Princess- Philippa Gregory


It turns out Ashley is great at recommending books!  I really enjoyed reading The Constant Princess.  I wasn’t sure how much I would like it since I’m not HUGE into Medieval history and stuff like that.  I couldn’t even tell how historically accurate this book was.  I assume it was relatively accurate since there was a bunch of notes and references though.  While reading The Constant Princess I found myself wanting to know the real, accurate story of Katherine of Aragon.  When a fiction book inspires me to go to the library to find a biography on a Renaissance queen I know it’s a good book.



The Constant Princess tells the story of Katherine of Aragon (obviously), the youngest daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain.  Katherine has been betrothed to Prince Arthur of England since she was a young girl.  All her life she knew that she was going to be the Princess of Wales and then the Queen of England.  When she turns 16, she weds Arthur.  After a few months of misery and a loveless marriage, Katherine and Arthur fall in love and have a happy marriage.  That all comes to a sudden end when Arthur gets sick and passes away.  Katherine is left a Dowager Princess with no heir to the throne.  On Arthur’s deathbed, Katherine promises Arthur to marry Henry, Arthur’s younger brother, so that the dreams they had for the future of England can still come true.  Katherine has to tell many lies in order for the marriage with Henry to come to fruition. She even has to refuse Arthur’s father’s advances and marriage proposal. Finally Katherine and Henry get married, 7 years later, after Arthur and Henry’s father has passed away.  Katherine and Henry also find happiness and love in their marriage.  Katherine gets pregnant, and then miscarries. Doctors told her that she could still be pregnant with a twin after the miscarriage because of how large she still is.   The news that Katherine might still be carrying a child brings great joy at a time of sadness for Katherine and Henry. Katherine goes into confinement to keep herself and the possible baby safe from any danger. When the expected delivery time comes and no baby is born, Katherine and Henry suffer great sadness, especially since they have been apart for so long with nothing to show for it. Henry feels shamed and Katherine feels like Henry doesn’t love her anymore, or has at least found someone to replace her in his heart.  Katherine learns that while she was in confinement Henry took a lover, Ann Boylen.  She confronts Henry about it, who says it was a moment of weakness, but he is all hers now.  Katherine gets pregnant again a few months later, and gives birth to a little boy.  Both Katherine and Henry are ecstatic that they have given birth to an heir to the throne. Tragedy strikes again when their son dies a few short days later.  This is the beginning of the end for Katherine and Henry.  Eventually we learn that Katherine gives birth to another child, a girl.  Then we learn that Katherine is appearing in court to testify as to whether her and Arthur had every consummated their relationship.  Henry is trying to invalidate their marriage so that he can marry Ann Boylen. Katherine, who had consummated her marriage with Arthur, but had lied about it for years, continues the lie.  The story ends with Katherine vowing to do what she promised Arthur many years ago, no matter what the cost.

Like I said, I didn’t know a bunch about Katherine and Henry VIII, besides the fact that Henry had a bunch of wives.  I found myself exploring Wikipedia to learn more, and, like I said before, I even checked out a biography at the library.  I absolutely loved this book. It was great read. The story progresses well and keeps you turning the page, wanting to know more.  While I knew the gist of what was going to happen from my high school world history classes, the story kept me guessing about the little details.   I know the story isn’t entirely historically accurate, but it was close enough for my liking.  I’m excited to read Phillipa Gregory’s other books about the Tudor Dynasty and all of Henry VIII’s wives. 

I decided to pick up another Jodi Piccoult book for my next read. I can normally read those pretty quickly, so you should be getting another post relatively soon. And my goal is to get the book for this infamous book club I joined forever ago and maybe attempt to read it before the meeting on Saturday.  We’ll see how that goes.  If the books are good I can read both the Piccoult book and the book club book before Saturday.  Fingers crossed!!!

Happy reading!

 

~Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment