Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion


Well I finally read a book for that book club I joined. . . but ended up not going to the meeting.  Baby steps right?  I actually really enjoyed this book.  I bought it on a Friday during my lunch break and finished it that night. It wasn’t an incredibly long book, so that made it a bit easier to read really quickly, but it also had an awesome story line.
 
 

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion tells the story of Don Tillman.  He is a professor in Australia that is determined to find his wife.  He starts out on “The Wife Project”, which involves a very thorough survey that he posts onto a few dating websites.  He recruits the help of his friend and fellow professor Gene to help him find the best candidates for his wife.  Gene sends Rosie Don’s way.  Don is confused by Gene’s selection of Rosie because she does not meet the qualifications Don has set at all. But Don gives Rosie a chance and takes her out on date.  Rosie reveals to Don that she is trying to locate her biological father.  This is especially interesting to Don because he studies genes and dna in his work.  Don and Rosie begin the Rosie Project, which involves gathering DNA from a list of potential biological fathers.  This project allows for Don and Rosie to spend a lot of time together, including a trip to New York.  Don, who is determined to not have feelings for Rosie because she is everything he doesn’t want in a wife, finds himself falling in love with her.  The rest of the book tells the story of Don and Rosie finding happiness when they seemed complete opposites.

I’m not sure what exactly made this book such a good read.  I found myself really rooting for Don. He is socially awkward and has incredibly high standards, but is definitely someone I think most people can relate to. He faces the same struggles everyone does in the search for love and happiness.  I think that was what really made the story great.  While I didn’t have a lot in common with Don (I found myself relating a bit more to Rosie actually) I was rooting for him to find love.   There are some funny situations that really help propel the story line as well.

This is definitely not a book I would have picked up on my own.  Even when I’m at the book store I tend to gravitate toward the shelves that house the books by my favorite authors.  I might browse around those shelves, but don’t really look around, except at the bargain books.  But I’m very glad I gave this book a try.  I guess that’s the whole point of a book club right?  To read and discover books that you wouldn’t necessarily give a chance on your own.

I have 2 more posts coming before I reveal the next book on my list.  I’ve done a decent amount of reading and no blogging for a while, so please bear with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment