Friday, March 27, 2015

Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson and some ramblings about Harry Potter



I am still playing catch up on some books I’ve read since Christmas.  I don’t know if I will ever catch up, but I’m going to try my best.  The past month or so I’ve been rereading Harry Potter, which I don’t think I need to do a post about, so that should help me catch up.

So here’s another book I REALLY loved:  Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson.  I borrowed this book from my mom at Christmas.  I think I read it in something like 2 days.  It was SO good.

it took me a LONG time to realize what the cover was actually a picture of. It kind of freaked me out a bit when I did, but I got over it.  Yup I scare easily.  Just ask any of my closest friends and family.  They will agree. :)
Christine Lucas suffers from amnesia after an accident.  Her memory completely resets when she goes to sleep. She lives with her husband, a teacher, who takes care of her so that she doesn’t have to live if a facility. She is seeing a doctor who is trying to help her recover her memory.  The doctor encourages her to write in a journal and calls her every day to remind her who he is and to read the journal. Slowly Christine starts to remember bits and pieces of her life with the help of her doctor and eventually her old friend Claire.  Her journal, in which she writes everything she remembers from her past, causes her to start to question the reality she thinks she knows.

I can’t really say much more than that about the book without giving away some major spoilers.  Trust me, this book is intense.  I couldn’t put it down.  There are some plot twists, especially towards the end, that really throw you for a loop.  My only complaint about this book is that it just kind of ends on a somewhat depressing note. I think Watson could have elaborated a little more on the outcome of the novel, especially since it is so good!

Apparently they made a movie based on this book.  The movie trailer looks a lot more intense than the novel actually is.   

I mean, it looks WAY intense, almost like a “scary” movie.  And I don’t watch “scary” movies.  Maybe I will watch this now that I know what the story actually is.  But we’ll see.  I have learned that I respond a lot better to movies based off of books when I watch the movie first.  This way I’m not saying things like “that’s not how it’s supposed to go!” or “Wow, they completely left this very critical part of the story out of the movie!”  So maybe watching the movie now will ruin it for me.  I actually watched The Da Vinci Code while on vacation last week.  The entire time I was saying that.  I’m pretty sure I was driving John crazy.  He kept telling me to appreciate the movie for what it is.  But hey, if they are going to base a movie off the book they better get the crucial details right!

Anyways I think I am almost caught up on my blogging (at least for this blog).  Like I said I’ve been reading Harry Potter over again to get prepared for my trip to Universal Studios.  I really don’t feel it is necessary to blog about those books.  Most people know the basic plot line and I obviously like them if I am reading them again.  And by again I mean for like the 320495773820485372954729034 time.  Ok, maybe not THAT many times, but I read the complete series every time a new book or movie came out, plus I was reading them every summer even if a new book/movie hadn’t been released.  It’s been a couple years since I have read them, but I still think I’ve read the complete series at least 6 or 7 times, if not more.  So I guess we can count this as my blog about Harry Potter.  They are great books. I remember staying up well past a reasonable bed time hour reading them.  I still cry reading the books and watching the movies.  They are brilliant and timeless and I will probably continue to read them until the day I die.  

With that being said, it’s on to the next book.  My book club has chosen The Colour of Magic for our April meetup.  For personal reading I am kind of in a weird place.  I’ve started reading a couple of different books but nothing has really grabbed me lately.  I think I might need to hit up the bookstore and try to find something that sounds interesting.  Until then I get to finish the Harry Potter series.  J
Happy reading!

~Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment