Monday, December 7, 2015

Nighttime Is My Time by Mary Higgins Clark

Growing up I remember my mom always had a Mary Higgins Clark book in her hand.  Maybe not always, but she read Mary Higgins Clark a LOT.  As I have gotten older I find myself drawn towards Mary Higgins Clark as well.  It must run in the family.  Since moving to Connecticut I have gotten a public library card and have been checking out all of the Mary Higgins Clark books.  I don't know why but it just feels like something I should read in the winter.  Maybe I'm crazy but cold winter nights and mysteries just go hand in hand to me.  I've finished 2 of them now and must say Mary Higgins Clark is as good, if not better, than I remember.  Let's get down to business.

Nighttime is My Time is about a woman, Jean, who returns to her high school home town for a high school reunion.  Jean is a historian/college professor that is getting honored at this reunion, along with a few of her classmates.  Shortly before the reunion, one of Jean's old high school friends Alison is found dead in her pool.  No one thinks much of it, except for Jake, a high school student who is covering the reunion for his school paper.  Jake has realized that since Jean and her friends graduated from high school an uncanny amount of students from that class has turned up dead, all of supposed tragic accidents.  When Laura, another friend of Jean's, turns up missing while attending the reunion, Jake is the only one who thinks that maybe something fishy is going on.  Combine Laura's sudden disappearance with a string of murders happening in surrounding towns AND the surprising number of people who have died in Laura and Jean's graduating class. . . there must be a serial killer on the loose, and he or she MUST be targeting the reunion party.

I really enjoyed this book.  Mary Higgins Clark provided a multitude of characters that COULD have been the killer.  At the end of every chapter I was convinced someone else was the guy.  The story moved really quickly and was just a fun read.  There were added elements of suspense that made you want to scream at Laura and Jean to JUST STAY AWAY!!!!  Nighttime Is My Time really pulled me in to the story and let me escape for a few hours.  And that is what a book should do!

I have one more Mary Higgins Clark book I need to blog about before I return to the library this weekend.  I actually have 3 more books I should really attempt to finish by then as well.  For some reason I really hate checking a book out at the library and not reading it.  Obviously I can check it out again whenever I want, but I feel like I have failed at a goal when I don't finish them all.  Maybe that's just me? 


No comments:

Post a Comment