Sunday, January 14, 2018

New Year, New Post - 30 Day Book Challenge, Day 1

Hi Everyone,
It's been 2 years since my last post.  Obviously I've read at least a little bit over the past 2 years.  What I haven't done is write about it!  I have a hard time finding time to read, let alone write about what I read.  A new year brings the perfect opportunity to rededicate myself to reading and this blog.

I found an interesting list of book related questions/topics that I thought would be fun to share with everyone.  This list asks questions about books you love, books you hate, and everything in between.  I love hearing people's thoughts on books, and obviously I love sharing my own. So this adds a little spice to the mix as I look back on a bunch of books I've read, not just the ones I am currently finishing up.

The question of the day today is "What is the best book you read last year?"  What an appropriate way to start this 30 day adventure, especially since it's January!  I didn't read nearly as many books as I would have liked.  But the book that sticks out to me is Plum Island by Nelson DeMille. Plum Island was recommended to me by my future father-in-law.  He is a huge Nelson DeMille fan and is always checking in on whether or not I've read his books.  Plum Island was PHENOMENAL! Actually, every book I have read by Nelson DeMille has been pretty great.  If you are looking for a new author to read, definitely check him out.

Plum Island is a fictional book set at the actual Plum Island in NY and surrounding areas of Long Island.  John Corey is an NYPD homicide detective who is spending some time at his uncle's home while recovering from 3 gunshot wounds. After his neighbors are found murdered outside their home, John is recruited by the local PD to help solve the case.  His neighbors were scientists that worked at Plum Island and their deaths raise suspicion as more and more is uncovered about them.  John makes a visit to Plum Island and meets CIA and FBI agents, which really raises some red flags in his mind.  Why is the CIA involved in a small town murder investigation?  What is actually going on at Plum Island?  What were his seemingly innocent neighbors really involved in?  John uncovers this and more in Plum Island.

Since reading Plum Island I have continued with the John Corey series.  Plum Island is a great "stand alone" book and you could stop there. But I fell in love with the character and couldn't stop after one book.  John Corey is abrasive, sarcastic, and says what he thinks.  And for some reason I love that in a character and couldn't stop after one book.  I only have a couple more books to go in  series and have loved every single one.  Needless to say, my futre father-in-law made a fantastic recommendation and now I am recommending it to all of you.  So go grab Plum Island, give it a read, and let me know what you think!



No comments:

Post a Comment