Thursday, February 15, 2018

30 Days of Books Day 6: A book that makes you sad

Hello everyone!

I haven't had a lot of time to post the past couple of weeks.  I tend to write posts while at my second job, but it's been so busy there I haven't had a chance to write in a bit.  At least I'm not bored at work, right?  Not having time to post gave me time to think about a book that makes me sad.  This is another tough one. It's not that I haven't read sad books because I definitely have.  But while books may be sad, MOST of them have happy endings.  I don't always remember if a book was sad if it ends on a happy note. So it's been a struggle to think of a "sad" book.

There is definitely an author that stands out in my mind as one who writes "sad" books is Jodi Piccoult.  Maybe I shouldn't say "sad", but emotional, or books that tug at the heartstrings. It's been a while since I've read one, but every time I do I feel like I get emotional.  One book that really stood out to me was Nineteen Minutes. It could be because of very recent events, but I've been thinking about this book a lot lately.



It's been a few years since I've read this book, so the details are pretty hazy.  But I'll give this my best shot. Alex is a judge that is assigned to the case of a school shooting.  Alex's daughter Josie is a victim of the shooting.  Her boyfriend is killed in front of her. We also learn that Josie used to be friends with the shooter when they were younger.  Josie would make a great witness, except for the fact that she claims she can't remember anything that happened in the moments leading up to her boyfriends death. Alex has to decide if she should take this HUGE case and risk forever ruining her relationship with her daughter or put her career aside for the sake of her daughter. I don't remember all of the details, but I remember being emotionally invested in ALL of the characters, including the shooter.

I am trying really hard to not get too political with this post.  It infuriates me that school shootings happen as often as they do.  It makes me so sad that the shooters feel there is no course of action left except shooting a school (or mall, church, etc).  Something needs to change.  I am not going to profess to know what needs to change, but SOMETHING has to!

Sorry for such a short post!  I know I tend to express myself a bit better, but it's been so long since I've read this book!  That, combined with not wanting to express my political views on such a hot topic is leading me to cut this short.  I have a few posts I need to write as I have finished 2 books and am on my way to finishing a 3rd. So while there might not be a lot of content to this post, there will be lots of posts headed your way!

Until then Happy Reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment