Saturday, February 24, 2018

Wine Isn't Rocket Science

Hello everyone,

We are taking another break from the "30 Days" challenge to feature another book I have recently finished: Wine Isn't Rocket Science.  This book took me a while to finish.  Not because it isn't good, but because it's more informative and not exactly a book you read for the great story line.  But I still loved it.  


There is a bit of background information required before I dive in to a summary of the book.  Even after I starting consuming alcohol wine was not my first choice.  I started out with the girly mixed drinks.  Then I discovered whisky and found that I really liked that.  I would drink beer occasionally.  But wine was never something I was interested in.  Then I met John.  Or, more accurately, I met John's family.  John's family LOVES wine.  3-4 bottles of wine disappear at even a small family gathering.  When we all get together it's an easy feat for us to go through 7+ bottles.  It was only a matter of time before I started drinking the stuff.  And once I started there was no turning back. It's not just the wine that I love.  I love the history of wine. I love watching documentaries about vineyards and wineries. I love learning about sommeliers and how they are able to identify a wine down to the mile of where the grape was grown. Everything about wine is interesting to me.  I have fallen in love and there is no turning back.

Over the summer I watched a few documentaries about wine on Netflix. While watching one about Napa Valley I had a stroke of genius.  I won't go in to details (don't want anyone stealing my brilliant idea) but I have a new business venture that I am so excited about. It combines 2 of my favorite things, 2 things I am incredibly passionate about.   I don't know when this will happen, or if it ever will, but just the thought that it could happen makes me so excited for the future.

So how did I end up with a book about wine? My mom came out for a visit in November.  She spent a week helping me get some wedding planning done.  We found a hotel for our out of town guests, searched every craft store in CT for materials for centerpieces, found a wedding dress, and found rehearsal dinner dresses.  We got a lot accomplished.  But no visit with Mom would be complete without a trip to the bookstore.  So off to Barnes & Noble we went.  Mom and I browsed the clearance section, which was conveniently located next to the food/beverage section.  I turned around to find a shelf full of books about wine. Wine Isn't Rocket Science stood out to me because of the purple cover and the catchy title.  I had been wanting to learn more about wine and here was a book that made the study of wine seem a little less intimidating. 

 I chose Wine Isn't Rocket Science over all of the other books for a few different reasons: 1. It has pictures!  And diagrams.  And charts.  Basically for a topic that I don't know a ton about, the pictures really help.  2. The format of the book is very easy to understand.  The book is broken up into various sections, including regions of wine, how to conduct a wine tasting, how to choose wine, and how to pair wine with food. 3.  The language is easy to read.  Wine tasting is a very complex art.  This book breaks wine tasting down to a very simple formula. I am by no means an expert after reading this book, but I definitely learned a lot!  If you want to learn the basics about wine this is a great book.

I'm excited to read more about wine.  It's a topic I have fallen in love with and I don't want this journey to stop any time soon. I have a few other books I want to check out about my new favorite topic. I will be sure to keep you posted on what I learn about my favorite adult beverage.

Until next time, 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment