Thursday, January 18, 2018

30 Days of Books Day 2



I'm already behind on my 30 days!  Yikes!  In an attempt to not feel stressed about being almost a week off, I've decided to officially declare here and now that I most likely won't be posting daily.  With my work schedule and sharing a computer at home, I just can't commit to daily posts.  So with that declaration declared I bring you Day 2.

Today's topic is "a book you have read more than 3 times".  This was a hard one for me because most books that I have read more than once falls into another topic we will cover later, such as favorite book or favorite series.  So I'm fudging this one a bit and going with a book I've read AT LEAST 3 times.  And that book is. . .
Image result for the work and the glory vol. 1

That's right.  The Work and the Glory Volume 1: Pillar of Light,  by Gerald N Lund.  I've read the entire series twice, and started them over again before moving to CT.  I ended up leaving my copies in UT because they took up a LOT of room and were VERY heavy.  So if anyone is in need of present ideas for me, here is a great place to start (hint hint Mom). 

This series follows the fictional Steed family while telling the story of the beginnings of the LDS Church (Mormons).  While a work of fiction, a lot of the events and people in the series were real.  I think this series is a great introduction to the history of the Church, and since it is written by a former General Authority, the book is historically accurate.  With so many books written about the Church that tell half truths or even outright lies, it's nice to be able to recommend a series that I know tells the CORRECT story.

In Pillar of Light we are introduced to the Steed family: Benjamin and Mary Ann and their children- Joshua, Nathan, Melissa, Rebecca, and Matthew.  They live on a farm in Palmyra, NY.  Benjamin ends up hiring Joseph and Hyrum Smith to help with some chores around the farm.  Joseph eventually shares his experience of the First Vision with Nathan, who in turn shares this with his family.  The Steed family finds themselves at odds with each other.  Mary Ann and Nathan find that Joseph's experience resonates with them, while Benjamin is less than thrilled and Joshua outright opposes this new religion.  Love and religion are at the forefront in this book.  What is more important: the person you love more than anything in the world or the beliefs you hold so strongly?  Do you have to choose between them?   If so, how?  When husband and wife hold different beliefs, how should younger children be raised?  Pillar of Light introduces us to these struggles that the Steed family face.  You will have to continue to read The Work and the Glory series to see how they make out.

On a more personal note, some might find it odd that I am recommending a book that is so firmly based in a religion that I no longer practice.  There is a simple explanation: I grew up in the Church.  It was a huge part of my childhood.  And the history of the Church is so interesting to me.  I took classes at BYU devoted to the history of the Church.  And not because religion classes were required, but because I wanted to learn more about it.  I hold no ill feelings toward the Church, or anyone that practices it.  It's just not for me, right now.

With all of that being said, there is another reason why I would choose to post about this book.  I chose this book because it is a book and a series that tells a GREAT story! You get invested in the characters.  Your heart breaks when they experience pain.  Your heart soars when the seemingly unthinkable, but absolutely joyous, happens.  Gerald N Lund is a fabulous story teller that tells a fabulous story that I think makes the history of the Church, Joseph Smith, and Brigham Young easier to understand.

So if you have ever wanted to learn more about those "Weird Mormons" and "That Crazy Joseph Smith" definitely check this book and series out!  I highly recommend it!



No comments:

Post a Comment