Friday, January 26, 2018

Up Country by Nelson DeMille

Hey everyone,

We are taking a break from the 30 Day book challenge to discuss a book I have recently finished.  The reason I started this blog was to keep track of the books I have read and let my friends, family, and fellow readers know whether or not I actually liked what I've been reading.  So having finished a book last night, I figured I should post about it.


As I mentioned in a recent post, I've been reading a lot of Nelson DeMille books lately.  I started with Plum Island, read a bunch of books in that series, and then was told by Jack (future Father-in-Law) that I should really read Up Country.  I was prepared to jump right in to Up Country but then I found out that  a "prequel" exists.  I don't know what it is, but there is something that keeps me from reading a book if I know another book comes first.  Did I have to read The Generals Daughter before Up Country to know what was going on?  Absolutely not.  The only thing these 2 books share is the same main character.  There are a couple of other characters that are in the 2 books, but they aren't  big enough players in Up Country to really contribute to the story.  But I just couldn't bring myself to read Up Country until finishing  The General's Daughter.  I won't take the time to summarize The General's Daughter.  I will say it has probably been my least favorite of Nelson DeMille's books, but still good.  Anyways. . . on to Up Country.


Up Country follows Paul Brenner, who you meet in The General's Daughter.  Paul has recently retired from the Army, where he worked as a CID agent.  Don't know what a CID agent does?  Basically he investigates crimes within the Army.  Paul is trying to settle into retired life when his former boss Karl requests a meeting at the Vietnam Memorial. At their meetup Karl and Paul discuss their time serving in Vietnam and then Karl presents Paul with one last case: investigate a murder that took place 30 years ago during the war.  Paul isn't sure if he wants to accept the offer, and if he does, how he would even begin to solve this thing.  How do you solve a murder investigation when the only witness to the crime is a former North Vietnam soldier who might not even be alive?  If Paul does find this guy alive, why would "the enemy" offer any information?  Does Paul even want to return to a country that holds a lot of awful memories for him?  Paul agrees to go and has the quite the adventure trying to solve this case.  Along the way he meets Susan, an American who lives in Vietnam and was brought in to the case to serve as a translator and guide.  He also catches the attention of Colonel Mang, a Vietnamese cop that has it out for Paul from the moment Paul steps off the plane.  Susan helps Paul establish a cover as a tourist, but Colonel Mang isn't buying it.  He doesn't know what Paul is up to, but he won't rest until he finds out.  When Paul finally finds the one witness to this 30 year old murder, he isn't happy with what he finds out and has to decide what he is going to do with the truth.

I liked Up Country.  It's not my favorite, but it was good.  I think it was a little harder for me to relate to because I wasn't alive during The Vietnam War.  Even though I studied US History in school, my knowledge of that particular war is very slim.  Despite not being able to relate to Paul as he is visiting old battle grounds and reliving some of the toughest times in his life, the story itself is good.  There is action, adventure, and even a little romance.  I was maybe halfway through the book when I met up with Jack and told him I was reading it.  He again told me how great it was, but then said "The ending is disappointing".  I wasn't sure what to think of that.  Do I stop half way through?  The answer to that question most of the time is "No".  If I've already read 400 pages, I'm not giving up!  So I charged on and, I have to say, the ending does leave something to be desired.  I'm hoping that DeMille ended it the way he did to maybe, eventually write a sequel.  The ending does leave some questions unanswered.  To put my mind at ease I am assuming there will be a follow up to Up Country at some point.  I'm probably wrong, but thinking this way at least makes me feel better.

I will return to my 30 Days challenge tomorrow.  Until then Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment