Thursday, August 2, 2012

Rebekah- Orson Scott Card

Book: Rebekah
Author: Orson Scott Card
Page Number: 400

The second book in the "women of Genesis" series follows the story of Rebekah who became the woman destined to marry Isaac, the son of legendary Abraham. Opinionated, determined, and beautiful, Rebekah faces many challenges in making sure that God's will prevails.

Orson's tribute to the strong biblical heroine is interesting and well written. The characters are brought to life in a way that is believable and as complex as true people and relationships. I was impressed at the emphasis of family dynamics and relationships within this novel; father daughter, father son, sibling love and sibling rivalry are branched out upon in detail. Those people who, like myself, are interested in people and psychology will love this book. Rebekah was such a well developed character that I was actually annoyed with her to the point that I wished I could jump into the novel and giver her a piece of my mind, but at the same time I admire her for many of the reasons I wanted to slap her in the face. 

I highly recommend this novel even to the nonreligious because it has the rare quality of speaking of religious characters and God, without being "preachy." This is one book that follows a steely woman, that feminists and traditionalists will thoroughly enjoy.  

3 comments:

  1. What happened to book one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had already read book one months before my sister Tara came up with the idea for this blog. If you would like I can post a review for Sarah as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need to I have the whole series but haven't read them yet

    ReplyDelete