Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Host- Stephanie Meyer

So before I go into a summary of this book I just want to let you know that I'm pretty sure Ash is skipping out on writing blogs for the books she's read.  I'm sure she's read at least 5 books since her first post, and yet nothing new from her. I will be having a talk with her later. :)



Alright so The Host was actually surprisingly good, especially for a Stephanie Meyer book.  Having studied English Lit at BYU, I was basically trained to think that Stephanie Meyer was a disgrace to all English Lit peeps from BYU.  But I really really really liked this book. So here's the low down.

The book is 619 pages.  When I started it, I was positive I wasn't going to like it. I just couldn't get into the book and almost gave up.  But after the first few chapters (which are really short by the way), I was hooked. So if you decide to read this and think about changing your mind after the first few pages, get if a chance!

In the book, "souls" have basically taken over the universe, invading all other life forms.  The souls have taken over Earth and its human life forms as well.  Not all humans have been abducted though. There are a few "rebels" left in hiding.  Melanie is a recently abducted human. The soul that overtakes her can't fully over take the body though. Melanie still lives on in her head.  Wanderer (or Wanda as she is called later in the book) has to listen to Melanie talk, live her memories, and feel her emotions. Those emotions and memories lead Wanda to seek out Melanie's brother and one true love.  Wanda finds them in the deserts of Arizona.  Jared and Jamie, along with 35 other humans, have taken refuge in an underground cave/tunnel system.  The rest of the story deals with whether or not the humans will accept Wanda or kill her, whether Melanie is alive inside Wanda or not, and the struggle between Melanie, Wanda, and Jared (Melanie's love).

I won't give away too much else.  Like I said, I really enjoyed this book. I probably would have finished it sooner had I not been required to go to work.  Seriously, put any doubts you might have about Stephanie Meyer aside and give this a chance.  I will admit to having read the Twilight books, and this FAR surpasses the quality of those.  So yeah, give it a chance.

I'm not sure what is next on my reading list.  I'm tempted to read the book I just bought at Barnes and Noble yesterday.  It's part of a series I REALLY like, so that might be next up. But who knows what will happen.

Have a great week and happy reading!!!

~Tara

3 comments:

  1. Sis
    You should read the mortal instrument series. It has five books working on book 6. Bekah has the first three books. I have really enjoyed them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your comments keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will see if Bek will let me borrow them. She has my Hunger Games books so I think its a fair trade :)

    ReplyDelete