Friday, August 3, 2012

Shocking Secrets of American History: 115 Surprising and Amusing Tales- Bill Coate

Hello all!

I just finished reading this book by Bill Coate. (page count to come. I'm writing this at work so I don't have the book on me).  I must say, it was a lot less like a book and a lot more like a collection of tid bits, which has it's good and bad aspects.  I liked that instead of chapters the book had little stories, broken up into a page to a page and a half in length.  Readers find out the orgin of the song "taps", learn that we actually had a president who was only in office for a day, and discover the curse that was left after Lincoln's death. 

While the book was very interesting, I don't think I'm a fan of the short story.  I have learned through reading this book that I prefer one continuous story line instead of 115 little diddies.  This is the type of book I would maybe leave in my car for those pesky doctors appointments or things like that where you don't want to get super engrossed in a story line just to get interrupted.

I did learn a lot of cool facts that make me feel all the more nerdy.  I just hope that Mr. Coate isn't leading me astray with any of his tales.  So if you want to learn some weird or little known facts about the US of A, I recommend this book.  But if you are like me and prefer one tale per book, I might suggest finding some other nerdy history book.  I will be reading some more history type books here soon so stay tuned :)

Next on my list is The Host by Stephanie Meyer.  Yes I know, I'm going from some intellectual book to. . . well. . . not so intellectual.  Hopefully this is better than the Twilight series.  I've heard that it is, so lets find out if my friends have led me astray or not.

Adios and Happy Reading :)

~Tara

2 comments:

  1. I liked the twilight series. Even though book two got on my nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, Gramps again. Just a word of warning about some of those short story books purporting to be factual. Many are collections of "Wives Tales" passed down from generatio to generation. You mentioned the story of the song "TAPS". I haven't read the one in this book but there are several floating around the internet. Most of them are "Wives Tales". So if you might want to double check those stories.

    Also your Great Grandpa West had a name for this type book! He called them the "Bathroom Books". I'll let you cogitate on why he called them that.

    ReplyDelete