Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Best of Me- Nicholas Sparks

I kind of got into a Nicholas Sparks mood apparently.  I have read most of his books in the past, so when I saw that there were 2 more books that I hadn't read at the library I checked them out.  I read Safe Haven first, and liked it, so I decided to read this one.




Best of Me was a little bit harder for me to get into at first.  I think it started out a little bit slow and confusing, but after the first few chapters, it all started to click and turned into a pretty fast read.

In this book, 2 former high school sweet hearts Darcy and Amanda have taken 2 totally different paths after graduating.  While they were in high school, Darcy was from the "bad family"; he was the black sheep in his family, getting good grades and staying out of trouble. Amanda was from a more well to do family.  Everyone thought dating Darcy was a HUGE step down for her.  They found peace at the house and car shop of Tuck, a local mechanic.  Darcy went to jail after high school for killing the local doctor in a car accident   After being released from prison, he went and stayed with Tuck before eventually moving to Louisiana   Amanda eventually went to college, got married, and had 4 kids, one of which died at a young age.  She visited her home town on a regular basis, always visiting Tuck in the process.

Darcy and Amanda both get called back to their home town after Tuck dies.  Tuck has made a bunch of requests for them to carry out, including spreading his ashes and taking care of his belongings.  Darcy and Amanda both realize that Tuck has made these requests to allow them the chance to reconnect.  After a weekend together, Darcy and Amanda part ways, but are never the same again.

Again, this story ends in a very Nicholas Sparks way.  It is kind of surprising, but not too much if you know Nicholas Sparks' style.  I really enjoyed this after getting past the first few chapters.  I do recommend this, along with Safe Haven.  If you like Nicholas Sparks, you are sure to enjoy these 2 novels.  If you like romance, you will like them as well.  I wouldn't necessarily recommend these books to a macho tough guy, but who knows, maybe they have a soft spot for romance and would like it. But to all those girls out there that like a good chick flick, this should feed your addiction :)

No comments:

Post a Comment